- Step-by-step instruction videos.
- Comprehensive teaching materials covering Surface Pattern Design (downloadable as PDFs).
- Work at your own pace. Even though lessons are not live you can ask questions at any given time which will provide you with ample opportunity for personal interaction between you and your tutor.
- Start building your portfolio with the support of your tutor.
This course is suitable for anyone with an interest in fashion, graphic design, textile design or interior design and hoping to (re)enter the job market, or looking to specialize within his or her current creative profession.
After completing the course you can expect:
- A good working knowledge of Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop – starting with the basics – and how to apply it to create allover prints
- Design using the different types of repeat patterns and using the corresponding repeat sizes
- Make commercial designs fit for the fashion, homeware, and stationery industries (these designs can be added to your portfolio)
- Meet the technical requirements for the various printing techniques
- Design for a variety of products including textiles, wallpaper, wrapping paper, bedding, napkins, greeting cards, etc.
- Know how to submit designs ready for printing
- Recognize what to take into account when designing with colours
- Be able to ‘separate’ colours for the different industrial printing techniques
- Market yourself as a designer
After completing the course you will have produced a number of saleable designs. You will have gained a good understanding of what working as a freelancer involves (collaborating with an agent, doing your own sales and marketing your designed products) as opposed to working for a company.
After completion of the final assignment, you will have developed ideas on how to apply your knowledge to your current, or new profession and will have learned how to distinguish yourself in the market.
- Creating commercial designs
- Retouching images and hand-drawn/painted illustrations to use in your allover prints
- Making images and hand-drawn/painted illustrations to use in your allover prints
- Modifying images and hand-drawn/painted illustrations to use in your allover prints
- Adding filters and other effects
- Choosing colour(s) whilst taking into account printing techniques/ customers/available Adobe features etc.
- Creating repeat patterns for industries including homeware (wallpaper), stationery and fashion
- Creating repeats for bedding and window decoration
- Creating varied repeat patterns
- Creating 2 kinds of photographic repeats
- Learning how to add texture to designs
- Painting motifs in Photoshop
- Creating geometric repeat patterns
- Working with vectors in Photoshop
- Colour reduction and separation for screen-printing
- Creating mock-ups for flat applications and pleated applications
- Combining Illustrator and Photoshop
- Creating a print-ready file
- Learning about industrial printing techniques and what to take into account when developing a pattern
- Collaborating with an agent vs. doing your own marketing and sales
- Developing Illustrator and Photoshop skills, starting with the basics
- Extra teaching materials: using Photoshop on an iPad
- Extra teaching materials: using Illustrator on an iPad
Content: Developing a Business Concept
- Look into personal branding
- Check out your competition
- Brainstorm the results of the above to start developing your own unique concept
During the course you will gain a comprehensive overview of the Surface Pattern Design profession.
Throughout the online course you will have access to videos with step-by-step instructions as well as extensive teaching materials on how to apply Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop to Surface Pattern Designing. You will be able to download all the teaching materials from the online platform. We recommend you refer to the study materials repeatedly, also after the course has ended.
On the online platform you will also find assignments. After submitting an assignment you will receive feedback from your tutor. Upon completion of the course you will receive a ‘proof of participation certificate’ (provided at least 80% the assignments were completed).
What are the Requirements?
There are no prerequisites for this course.
What is the estimated Study Load?
It is recommended to spend a minimum of 2 hours a week on the course (this includes doing assignments and repeating finished topics). The more time you spend practicing the sooner you will come to grips with the software.
The level of the course is comparable to a mid-level vocational education (NL-MBO).
About your teacher
Jolieke Ubachs will be your tutor and personal guide on your journey to becoming a Surface Pattern Designer.
Meet Jolieke here. Or meet her via the chat!
After subscribing, Jolieke will contact you to inquire about your personal goals for this course.
Besides the standard study materials, the course will be tailored to your needs with your own personal tutor. Jolieke will check in with you on a regular basis to see if you need any help. During the course you can ask her questions via email. All emails will be answered within 3 working days and will be supported with screenshots and often customized videos.
Below an impression of a tutorial video.