- You will be guided by instructional video’s.
- Download PDFs with detailed step-by-step instructions.
- Start anytime and work at your own pace.
- Ask your subject teacher any questions you may have for 12 months (starting immediately)
- Unlimited access to the videos. Includes all future updates.
By learning to draft patterns in Adobe Illustrator, you will not only gain the technical skills necessary to develop your own collection, but you will also discover the flexibility of drafting patterns in Adobe Illustrator. Drafting patterns on the computer is faster and allows you to create libraries of different styles. You can quickly adapt the basic pattern to the style you want. Adobe Illustrator is much less expensive than software designed specifically for digital pattern drafting.
The course is suitable for people who want to enhance their current skills by learning to draft patterns digitally. The course material also includes instructions on how to draft patterns by hand. However, the emphasis is on the digital aspect.
You will learn how to draw basic patterns for different garments.
You will learn how to modify these basic patterns according to your own design.
You will also learn to draw collars, pockets, fastenings, pleats, etc.
By the end of this course you will have developed the technical understanding. You will be able to draft patterns completely to your own design with the help of detailed, downloadable teaching material.
You will learn how to draft the patterns in Adobe Illustrator. Adobe Illustrator is also explained from the basics. The course material can also be followed if you wish to draw the patterns by hand. Both methods (hand/digital) are described in detail, although the emphasis is on working in Illustrator.
- Introduction to pattern drafting
- Measuring and size table
- Basic skirt pattern
- Drafting waistband patterns
- Drafting different skirt styles (circle, half-circle, A-line, pleated skirts, etc.)
- Dart relocation
- Drafting the waist facing, yoke pattern
- Lowering and raising the waistline
- Basic blouse pattern
- Different button closures
- Stands and collars
- Sleeves, cuffs and variations
- Basic dress pattern (also for coat and blazer)
- Drafting the lapel collar
- Basic top pattern
- Different top and bodice styles
- Dart manipulation
- Basic trousers pattern
- Trouser styles
- Printing the pattern
- Developing Illustrator skills, starting with the basics
You will receive a certificate of completion at the end of 12 months (subject to completion of assignments).
What are the Requirements?
No previous training or knowledge of Adobe Illustrator is required. You will need to have Adobe Illustrator installed on your computer. Download the free 7-day trial here. Basic sewing skills are recommended.
What is the estimated Study Load?
It is recommended that you spend at least 2 hours per week on the course (this includes completing assignments and reviewing completed topics).
You will receive feedback after submission. After 12 months, you will receive a certificate of completion (assuming you have completed the assignments).
About your teacher
You will be personally supported by Jolieke Ubachs. Meet Jolieke here.