- You will be guided by instructional video’s.
- Download PDFs with detailed step-by-step instructions.
- Start anytime and work at your own pace.
- Ask your subject teacher any questions you may have for 12 months (starting immediately)
- Unlimited access to the videos. Includes all future updates.
By learning to draft patterns and fashion flats in Adobe Illustrator, you will not only gain the technical skills necessary to develop your own collection, but you will also discover the flexibility of designing in Adobe Illustrator.
The course is suitable for people who are looking for opportunities to develop their own clothing line or develop to enhance their current skills. Gain in-depth knowledge of drawing fashion flats and pattern drafting.
- You will learn how to draw basic patterns for different garments.
- You will learn how to modify these basic patterns according to your own design.
- You will also learn to draw collars, pockets, fastenings, pleats, etc.
- By the end of this course you will have developed the technical understanding. You will be able to draft patterns completely to your own design with the help of detailed, downloadable teaching material.
- Drafting patterns by hand is also described in detail, although the emphasis is on working in Illustrator.
- To develop technically correct and complete fashion flats suitable for sending to a supplier. (A supplier drafts patterns from a fashion flat).
- You will learn how to use Adobe Illustrator.
- At the end of the course you will have a set of fashion flats ready for the industry.
Pattern Drafting module:
- Introduction to pattern drafting
- Measuring and size table
- Basic skirt pattern
- Drafting waistband patterns
- Drafting different skirt styles (circle, half-circle, A-line, pleated skirts, etc.)
- Dart relocation
- Drafting the waist facing, yoke pattern
- Lowering and raising the waistline
- Basic blouse pattern
- Different button closures
- Stands and collars
- Sleeves, cuffs and variations
- Basic dress pattern (also for coat and blazer)
- Drafting the lapel collar
- Basic top pattern
- Different top and bodice styles
- Dart manipulation
- Basic trousers pattern
- Trouser styles
- Printing the pattern
- Developing Illustrator skills, starting with the basics
Fashion Flats module:
- Creating fashion flats (technical drawings for fashion / style sheets)
- Drawing details such as pockets, collars, etc.
- Drawing various pleats and flounces
- Drawing haberdashery items
- Adding seams (working with brushes)
- Working with libraries in Adobe Illustrator
- Creating artwork
- Colouring the garment using different methods and creating colourways
- Adding shadows
- Creating seam symbols
- Learn about target audiences
- Building a collection
- How to send your file to the supplier
- Creating a style sheet
- Drawing to scale
- Learn to master the features of Adobe Illustrator. The tutorial starts with the basics.
- Additional training material: Using Adobe Illustrator on the iPad
You will receive a certificate of completion at the end of 12 months (subject to completion of assignments).
What are the Requirements?
No previous training or knowledge of Adobe Illustrator is required. You will need to have Adobe Illustrator installed on your computer. Download the free 7-day trial here. Basic sewing skills are recommended.
What is the estimated Study Load?
It is recommended that you spend at least 3 hours per week on the course (this includes completing assignments and reviewing completed topics).
You will receive feedback after submission. After 12 months, you will receive a certificate of completion (assuming you have completed the assignments).
About your teacher
You will be personally supported by Jolieke Ubachs. Meet Jolieke here.